Cost Engineer Job
Date: Apr 8, 2014
Location Duluth, GA, US
Req ID: 602
Purchasing within AGCO is currently conducting a business transformation globally, which is designed to increase efficiency and fully align AGCO’s global purchasing activities. One part of the transformation is the further development of the global purchasing organization it’s processes, methods, standards and capabilities towards a highly competitive best-in-class organization. The function has the ultimate goal to realize successful execution and deployment of key purchasing initiatives that drive global purchasing strategy and create value for internal and external customers. A key part within the new purchasing organization builds the cost analysis team which is supposed to provide cross-functional support to internal stakeholders during the product development process. To participate in the Global Supplier Cost Analysis Team, we are looking for a Supplier Cost Analyst (SCA).
SCAs are seasoned engineering professionals with substantial economics background. The person has a strong understanding of all best-in-class product, technology and manufacturing processes and tools, knowing when to use which levers, and have proven project management experience as well as cross cultural leadership familiarity. In particular the person should bring the following knowledge:
- Strong analytical ability
- Very good technical, methodological and process know-how
- Proven knowledge of product, technology and manufacturing processes and methodologies
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of cost analysis process and system management
- Product and process value engineering know-how (value analysis) by applying among others the optimization of the product costs by increasing operative manufacturing efficiency and focusing directly on the relevant cost drivers
- Expertise in product cost bench marking by best practice-determination of product-specific manufacturing processes and cost structures based on tried and true benchmarks.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills as well as advanced interpersonal skills; ability to relate well with all levels of employees and management
- Self-starter with the initiative to take on necessary tasks and issues with limited direction and supervision
- Mastery of the Supplier Cost Analysis principles
The position requires an advanced understanding of the company (functions, roles and responsibilities) to be able to operate effectively on a global level across functions, countries and brands. SCAs are expected to have awareness of products, production processes, technologies, as well as advanced analytical skills to enable support the design and development of new products. Furthermore, a good level of understanding of global business contexts in combination with entrepreneurial spirit is required. This goes hand in hand with comprehensive strategic and tactical cost analysis experience preferably in a multinational environment. The person is willing and able to bring up topics proactively and resolve them with a limited amount of direction and leadership.
The position reports to Manager Supplier Cost Analysis with the no direct budget responsibility. Job holder acts as a mentor to the more junior members of the Supplier Cost Analysis Team.
SCAs need strong analytical skills to enable a fact-based problem solving approach in dealing with internal and external issues such as: limited amount of available information, cross-regional conflicts and cross-functional conflicts. The required profile across some key problem solving competencies is listed below:
- Creative thinker with a significant level of power of endurance
- Active listener to the stakeholders, always keeping top of mind global implications
- Analyzing the information, drawing conclusions and making recommendations
- Expert in the area of knowledge, with Supplier Cost Analysis Manager providing overall guidance
NATURE OF IMPACT
The SCA impacts the business primarily along the following dimensions:
- Cost reduction: SCA will influence the global product development process landscape within AGCO by implementing processes which ultimately will lead to improved cost efficiency and increase of created value
- Negotiation: SCA successfully uses his/her knowledge to provide purchasing with benchmarking information in order to improve the negotiation positions of AGCO
- Global Coordination: SCA will ensure that each region is improving its use of common processes and IT systems in the area of cost analysis
- Supplier Development: SCA will act as an analytical interface to the Global Purchasing Supplier Development
- IT-Systems: SCA is responsible for implementing and maintaining consistent IT systems regarding cost value engineering. All of these aspects have to be applied by compromising between best practice, most applicable and most efficient.
AREA OF IMPACT:
The SCA will mainly impact the following areas/functions:
- Purchasing: Enabling competitive global procurement by providing knowledge and information regarding cost analysis in order to improve AGCO’s competitiveness on a corporate level.
- R&D: Supporting the development of highly cost-efficient products by providing cost analysis of external parts and consequently create value while maintaining capacity and quality (cost-orientated creation of product value)
- Product Development Project Team: Enabling the project team to realize best-in-class cost rates by providing value cost engineering service
- Value Chain: Consistent improvement and implementation of process and procedure improvements will enable the cost reduction within the value-chain of AGCO
SCA must be able to function with advanced oral, aural and written skills in their native language and English as a minimum. The focus here is to ensure a level of competency exists which enable the communication of fact-based arguments to both internal and external teams as to enable logical recommendations. The person is required to be able to be part of a multicultural team with a high level of interpersonal skills and cultural awareness. Additionally a high level of social competences is prerequisite, primarily conflict management and communication skills.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
In addition to the previously described competency proficiency levels, the job holder has to provide the following qualifications
- Willing and able to travel internationally
- International work experience preferred
- Foreign language skills (minimum requirement: very good command of English)
- Experience with being member of cross-functional program management team
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft office suite software including Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Proven track record to implement cost analysis processes and systems
- Demonstrated cost value engineering competence
- University degree required; additional benefits with academic training in engineering (preferred), business and/or economics
- Experience in the field of manufacturing processes
- Previous experience with Siemens Product Cost Management software (ex. Perfect Pro Calc) is considered as a plus
- Demonstrated progression based on significance of challenges undertaken and results achieved
Nearest Major Market: Atlanta
Job Segment: R&D Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Product Development, Program Manager, Engineering, Research, Management
We noticed that you are already a member of our Talent Community. Please enter your password to continue.
We noticed that you already started to apply for a job in our system. Please enter your password to continue.
Already a Member
You are already a user of this site. Please sign in.
Start Your Application
Create a new account now!
* required field